Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I'm Bonafied!


Tonight I graduated from Wilton I Cake Decorating Class. What an accomplishment! Here's my final cake. I didn't know what inscription to use, so Dave came up with an appropriate one. We shall celebrate Punxsuatawney Phil (yes, I looked it up) with a Devilsfood, Crisco and Sugar confection. I'm quite proud of the roses. They turned out well - and were the most fun to make. In fact, the beginning stages sent a bit of a twitter throughout the class.

You see, to start out a rose you need to pipe a 1-inch high tube-shaped pile of frosting on top of a piece of waxed paper (visualize a chocolate kiss, but skinnier). Then, you take a ribbon-type tip and pipe a little shawl around the very top of the tube. This is intended to form the internal bud of the rose. However, what you end up with looks just like a circumsized penis!! You don't know HOW much I wished I had my camera so that you, my blog-reading pretties, could see this!!

You can imagine the giggles when, in the spirit of practice we each piped ten tube-shaped piles of frosting, and then enrobed them in their little 'shawls'. It looked like we each had a garden of little 1" tall penis seedlings sprouting up around us. Of course, this is a very conservative town, so I chuckled internally until I heard several others snickering about theirs....especially one lady who was working on pale pink flowers.

The giggling was short-lived, however when we moved on to the next step of piping the rest of the leaves on the roses. Then it was back to work.

So there you have it. I'm grad-je-ated. Not sure if I'll take the next class in the series. It's a LOT of prep work, and there's still that aversion/repulsion with the Crisco frosting to consider.

Sorry I've been neglecting you again. Actually, it's for good business-related reasons. I have been focusing on a couple of things lately - mainly planning a Tasting event for the neighborhood ladies. A week from tonight the gals will come over and sample my wares. I'm making 3-4 cakes and 2 types of individual cheesecakes. I'm also making cupcakes for each lady to take home.

Another time-sucker is that I have come up with a cool new way to make and package cupcakes, which I will share with you soon. I'm just nervous about letting the cat out of the bag, lest Ms. Martha Whatshername steal my idea. I want it to be my 'good thing' for a while. Cupcakes are really big right now, so I want to try to capture some business in that space.

Along with all that, I have applied to the state for dibs on the business name "Buttercream" by paying my $50 to secure it for 10 years. Now I'm just waiting for them to tell me it's mine. (Apologies to you who have expressed the opinion that 'Buttercream Dreams' is a better name than just 'Buttercream'. When you get your own cake baking business you can name it that! Neener Neener. Seriously, I thought my blog title was pretty clever - Buttercream Dreams because this blog is about my quest to realize my dream of owning a business called Buttercream. Get it??)

So you see I have been moving right along....just not always bringing you along for the ride like I should. Mea culpa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found your blog through a recipe search, of all things. :) I just couldn't help it, though, but to laugh out loud when I read about the tiny little penises!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

I've thought the same thing a number of times, but didn't mention it... just giggled until I got to the next stage. *grin*

just wanted to let you know you gave me a giggle. :) Thanks!