Sunday, January 01, 2006

Bloggy New Year!

I was discussing this blog thingy with my friend Caron who complimented me on it (thank you!) and said she thinks it could ‘go somewhere’. Not sure where that might be (the image of a cyberspace trashcan comes to mind) but I told her if she figures out a way for me to make money off of it, to let me know. She, and others have commented that when I have posted recipes people have actually tried them. Apparently the Rosemary Shortbread cookies were a big hit at another friend Maria’s holiday party!

So, that leads me to believe that I need to feature more recipes and less off-topic ramblings. This will be added to my list of goals in 2006 under the heading of “make food blog more related to food”. I know you guys are dying read about moi, but really – I must keep my initial purpose in mind – which was to document my business start-up foibles and talk about food and cooking.

Without further ado, right off the bat in 2006 here’s a recipe for you. I know this would have been more relevant, oh say 24-48 hours ago when you all were trying to figure out what kind of appetizers to make for that NYE party, but nonetheless….tuck this away in your recipe files for future reference.

It is a simple appetizer, however there is one component that is time-consuming. Do not let that deter you, however, because the finished product is yummy and worth the extra 10 minutes you will spend. The extra time comes in when you start peeling apart these Grands biscuit layers. They are infinitely easier to peel apart when cooked, however you need the raw dough for this recipe. It’s important that the dough be thin because they need to cook quickly. That’s why you peel them.

Sarah and I made these today and were able to get as many as 5 layers from each biscuit but that takes practice. I decided that patience should be listed on the recipe below as a key ingredient for success. I was wondering what these would be like if I used Wonton skins instead of biscuit dough. Maybe next time I will try that to see if it’s worth the trade-off. If any of you decide to try this with wonton skins let me know how they turn out.

Tomato Bacon Appetizers

8 slices bacon, cooked til crisp and crumbled
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
½ small onion, chopped
3 oz (3/4 cup) Swiss cheese, grated
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. Basil
1 can (10 oz) refrigerator biscuits (I use Grands flaky layers)

Mix all ingredients together except biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 3-4 layers and place in a mini muffin pan. Fill each cup with a spoonful of the mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown.

Enjoy!!

No comments: