Saturday, December 31, 2005

Auld Lang Syne

Since it is time to reflect I thought I’d share some reflection with you, my blog-reading pretties. Here’s my version of the Proust Questionnaire.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before? Started a business
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? No, I’m still not the size I am in my mind’s eye. Yes, I will likely attempt yet again to become the size I am in my mind’s eye.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, my book club waged an all-out effort to expand families. Karen had a baby girl named Jessica, Cynthia adopted a baby girl named Eleanor. And soon Sue will pick up her new son Gabriel from Guatamala.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully, no.
5. What countries did you visit? Regretfully, none other than the good old USA.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? A job that I enjoy.
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? August 29th. The day Katrina hit. I watched the whole thing unfold in utter amazement that such a human tragedy could befall the richest, most progressive country in the world.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Taking steps to make a dream into a reality.
9. What was your biggest failure?Trying to diet.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Thankfully, no – unless you count the strained wrist I got on the golf course.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Really cool patio furniture that allows us to relax outdoors.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Sarah – making the National Honor Society was awesome!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Tom Cruise? Brangelina? George Bush? It’s hard to choose.
14. Where did most of your money go? Bills, bills, bills
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Our trip to St. Augustine, Florida in May. We played a lot of golf and had a great time together.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005? 100 Years by Five for Fighting. It’s a tear-jerker.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? About the same
b) thinner or fatter? Hmm….about the same!
c) richer or poorer? Ugh, poorer….thanks to gas prices (natural gas and gasoline)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveling
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Working
20. How will you be spending Christmas? In 2006? Hard to tell. But family – hear this: I call dibs on having Christmas at my house!!
21. Did you fall in love in 2005? I fall in love all over again pretty often with my wonderful husband.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Six Feet Under, Survivor, Under Fire (a reality show for chefs that ran on PBS)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No
24. What was the best book you read? My Sister’s Keeper an awesome novel about medical ethics.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? The iPod and iTunes!!
26. What did you want and get? A second refrigerator for the basement.
27. What did you want and not get? Furniture for my living room, dining room and bedroom
28. What was your favorite film of this year? So far, I think it’s Capote.
29. What did you do on your birthday? Hmmmm…what did we do on my birthday? I don’t really remember.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?Being debt-free
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Thanks to Stacy and Clinton I am trying to wear clothes that lengthen the torso and make you look thinner by defining the waist. I am also putting more emphasis on sexy shoes and good jewelry.
32. What kept you sane? My husband.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Gosh, I really try not to be dazzled by celebrities, but if I had to pick I would say Candice Olson from Divine Design on HGTV. She has the most amazing taste. Everything she does is sumptuous and elegant. I would think I’d died and gone to heaven if she ever came to do a room in my house. Too bad they only do houses in Canada on that show.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Anything George Bush has his hands in. In general, the oppressive positions taken by right-wing religious extremists.
35. Who did you miss? Mom and Dad, my family, everyone in Book Club.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Probably Angela, whom I met in my weekly figure drawing class. She is an awesome oil painter and a great lady.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: I didn't learn this personally but read enough about it to know better: When blogging keep your negative thoughts about work to yourself.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
Here I am stuck in the middle with you.

Well, there you have it. My reminiscences. Take some time to answer these questions for yourself. It truly is cathartic to look back on the year and sum it up.

I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2006. Drive safe and buckle up!

No comments: