Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Charting a new course - for me at least!

Today I feel like a pioneer of sorts.....an innovator of cheesecake. Not in the sense that I have created a new flavor or style of cheesecake, but in that I have taken a recipe for a whole 10" cheesecake and adapted it for this nifty new pan I have. That may not sound like a groundbreaking revelation - but it is when you consider that I have not been able to find instructions anywhere - even on the Internet - for using this new pan. Here's why it's so innovative: While most individual cheesecakes are made by using cupcake papers in muffin pans, this pan is like a mini-springform x 12.

What you have are 12 mini wells with straight-up sides (unlike muffin pans) and cut-out bottoms. You then place the little half-dollar sized disks of non-stick metal into the bottom, pack in your cheesecake crust, fill them with cheesecake batter and bake. (The bake time is the hard part - it's a guessing game at this point. Also, some recipes call for the dreaded water bath. Well I can tell you right now, the odds of keeping all 12 of those cheesecakes dry are minimal. So I'll just forego the water bath. Will have to see if that affects the texture of the little cakes.) Then you follow the rest of the cheesecake procedure, cool completely, chill overnight and unmold. Voila! You have 12 beautiful individual cheesecakes ready for devouring.

My debut as an individual cheesecake baker is scheduled for tomorrow, when I bring 2 dozen to work for our annual holiday potluck lunch. I intend to bring 2 kinds. Monday night I worked on the 'plain' cheesecake variety (graham cracker crust, layer of creamy sour cream on top). Last night I made mocha chocolate cheesecakes (chocolate wafer crust). I will decorate them tonight (with fresh fruit, etc.) and will share a picture of the final product.

I think they're gonna look cool....but have already resolved to buy more pans. Making 1 dozen at a time is a slow process.

No comments: