Thursday, December 01, 2005

Grandiose Plans

Now is the time of year when us Martha Stewart Wannabes bite off more than we can chew - no pun intended.

Aside from the fact that I have a significant cake order this weekend (a 9" German Chocolate Cake, a 9" Carrot Cake and a 7" Double-chocolate pumpkin cheesecake!!), I am finding that time for my own holiday baking is dwindling. I have fantasies that surround baking. Yes, call me crazy (my husband does) but if I didn't have to make a paycheck or two this month I would be a baking fool. Here are some of the projects I fantasize about, but will probably have to give up:

- I would bring beautifully decorated individual cheesecakes to the holiday potluck at my work. It would require that I make about 2-2.5 dozen of said cheesecakes.
- I would make beautiful cut-out cookies that I would stack together, tie with ribbons and package in crisp cellophane bags. These I would hand out to relatives at my husband's annual Family Christmas weekend.
- I would bake several different types of cookies and freeze. That way, when we go places I can bring plates of cookies for the hosts.
- I would make many batches of my new favorite brioche pecan sticky buns to give away. These make wonderful Christmas morning nibbles.

All of this is in addition to the regular cooking that goes on around here...although there hasn't been too much cooking (at least from-scratch cooking) going on here lately. I've been busy in the evenings after work - which is probably what's going to sabotage my baking plans.

Of course, I also have grandiose ideas about decorating my home for the holidays. Last February I even put a sticky note in my planner for October that said

"Start making holiday decorations. Remember you bought all
kinds of ornaments and holiday ribbon that is in the basement.
Get out that glue gun."

But have I begun that yet either? Nooooo....

Oh well, I'm a Cub Fan.....so I'm used to hanging my head and uttering the phrase "There's always next year."

No comments: