Saturday, December 17, 2005

But I digress


Today’s off-topic topic relates to my eldest stepdaughter Sarah, and her recent achievement. Wednesday night we attended her high school’s National Honors Society induction ceremony. Her application was one of 94 accepted this year in her high school. Dave and I figured that puts her in the top 10% in her junior class.

This is especially impressive to us, since neither of us were similarly honored/chosen when we were in school. My sister got most of the brains in our family, so it really never occurred to me to even apply. I’m sure my application would have been laughed out of the room anyway given my less-than-stellar grades. You see, I was a late bloomer. Ahem

Sarah, on the other hand, is an intelligent, hard-working young lady. She is very involved – Mock Trial team for the second year in a row, Junior Class Treasurer (although I believe she still has not yet seen the “books”), active in Girl Scouts. She is self-directed in her studies – something I never was. Lord knows she has to be, taking two Advanced Placement classes (Government and Language/English Lit.). Oh, she is still very much the teenager in terms of getting in as much couch time (TV time) as possible, but for the most part she is working aggressively toward her goals and plans for the future.

The real fun starts in a couple of weeks, when she finally gets her driver’s license. Following closely on the heels of that big event will be the college visits and – hopefully – her first summer job, although she claims there is no way she will be able to find time to work with the ‘busy summer’ she has planned. We’ll see.

It’s been a pleasure to witness her growth, both personal and academic. I can tell she will do great things with her life.

No comments: