Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I guess this makes me a food snob

Every year Dave's whole family gathers for a Christmas celebration weekend early in December. Part of the tradition is to have an appetizer party on Friday night and a cookie exchange on Sunday morning before we all leave. Every year I strive to find something new and different to bring for each of these 'events' - especially where cookies are concerned. I know there will be plenty of jam thumbprints, the requisite holiday cutout cookies, something containing peanut butter, etc. (Those of you outside of Central Ohio may not know this but they are obsessed with peanut butter here, especially Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - known locally as 'Reesie Cups'.)

Well, I always try to find something different. Last year, in addition to making pecan caramel cookies, I brought shortbread cookies made with cardamom. Cardamom is in the ginger family and it made for a nice twist on an old favorite. This year, I've found another interesting little gem - Rosemary Shortbread cookies!! They are quite different - and tasty! How can you go wrong with powdered sugar, butter, flour and fresh minced rosemary? That's about all there is to it. Plus, one really cool thing - you don't have to chill the dough before you roll it out and cut it.
Here's the recipe, and a picture. I intend to package them in stacks of 3 in clear cellophane bags tied with gold ribbon. The rosemary is very fragrant, so I don't want them 'infecting' the other cookies that they are packaged with. They really are lovely and so different. See what you think.

Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
1/2 C butter, softened
1/3 C sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, gradually adding sugar, beating well.

Gradually add flour to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Gently stir in rosemary.

Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut with a 2-inch cookie cutter, place cutouts on lightly greased baking sheets. (I used parchment paper - no need to grease pan!)

Bake at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Yield 1 dozen.

My notes:
  • ALWAYS use real butter in cookies - preferably unsalted.
  • I quadrupled the recipe (except for the flour - of which I only added 5 cups instead of 6) - and got approximately 4 dozen - although that yield is not completely accurate since my cookies were all different sizes.

Try them. Let me know what you think. I know my pretties are out there reading because the nifty hit counter keeps rolling....however nobody ever comments!! C'mon! I hear you breathing!

One more note - I tried uploading the picture but the blogger site is wicked slow tonight. I will publish it soon, I promise. Don't let that stop you from trying these cookies!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just made the rosemary shortbread cookies. Patrick kept visiting the kitchen with a quizzical look on his face - not sure whether it was Grecian chicken or dessert he was smelling in the oven. shortly after they came out, we both tasted them. They are wonderful. It's mostly a shortbread taste, with just a hint of the rosemary, giving them a spicey kick. And, I used a lactose-free unsalted margerine so my extremely dairy-intolerant friend can eat them, which may have affected the taste, but they were still good.

Thanks, Lindi