Sunday, November 13, 2005

Last of a 3-day weekend

Sunday mornings - newspaper, coffee......a slice of heaven!

So yesterday's activities (post-refrigerator hunt) included mowing the lawn, which I never, ever do. (Well, I did it once before to get back into my husband's good graces, and to prove that I could start a mower all by myself. Girl Power! Yeah!) Anyway, when your husband is in week #1 of his 6 week recovery from a hairline fracture of the radius (tennis accident.....caused, of course, by my rocket forehand), you have to step up and take one for the team. So I mowed. And cursed the fact that my husband refuses to buy a self. propelled. mower! Grrrrrr.

Afterwards, Sarah and I (stepdaughter #1) made dinner. Here's our menu:


  • Cheese and Corn Chowder (great, hardy soup)
  • Caesar Salad
  • Grands Flaky Butter-flavored biscuits (mmmmm warm, pull-apart biscuits)

And the piece de resistance...

  • Caramelized apple toffee crisp with vanilla ice cream

Now I must tell you, before I reveal the recipe.....that this is the absolute best Apple Crisp that I have ever made. Nay, that I have ever eaten! It is that good! As good or better than those I have eaten in any restaurant, and I am a connoisseur of sorts when it comes to ordering apple desserts in restaurants. (Just ask my husband, who usually graciously foregoes his gooey, chocolate desires to split yet another apple dessert with me.)

Ok....are you ready? Can you handle it? Here it is:

_______________________________________________

Caramelized apple toffee crisp with vanilla ice cream

2 3/4 to 3 pounds (6 large) Granny Smith apples
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
TOPPING:
1 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup toffee bits (see note)
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
Confectioners' sugar for garnish
1 pint vanilla ice cream, optional (Breyer's French Vanilla is outstanding)

Have ready a 9-by-13-inch oven-to-table baking dish.

For the filling, peel and core apples. Then cut them in half lengthwise and cut each half into 4 wedges. (You should get about 8 cups.) Place slices in baking dish and toss with butter and lemon juice. In a small bowl, stir sugar, cinnamon and salt together and sprinkle over apples. Toss to coat well.

For the topping, place walnuts, toffee bits, flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl and mix well. Add butter and, using your fingertips, rub mixture together until it resembles pea-sized clumps. Scatter topping evenly over apples.

Bake on center rack of preheated 350-degree oven until apples are tender and juicy and topping is golden brown, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove and cool 5 to 10 minutes. (The crisp can be prepared 4 hours ahead; cool and leave at room temperature, uncovered. Reheat in preheated 350-degree oven until warm, about 15 minutes.)

To serve, dust crisp with confectioners' sugar. Garnish each portion with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprig of mint, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

Note: Heath "Bits o Brickle" toffee bits, which are usually found in the baking section of the grocery, work well in this recipe. Do not use chocolate-coated toffee bits.

________________________________________

The toffee bits are what differentiates this recipe from other crisps, so do not omit!

In terms of the business, start-up activities continue. No cake orders this week, however I am in the process of creating a 'menu' of sorts, which lists the cakes I offer as well as sizes and prices. I may make a swap deal with a guy at work who has offered to help me with a website if I bake cakes for him. He has a few birthdays coming up in his family soon. Sounds like a deal!

Dave also suggested that I start keeping some books on what I spend vs. make. I agree, but it would be so depressing at this point to see how much this is costing us, knowing that it will be a long while before I turn anything resembling a profit.

Especially since I need that refrigerator....and a new 6 quart stand mixer (either a Viking or KitchenAid would do!). Santa.....are you listening???

Ciao, Bellas!

1 comment:

KELTLADY said...

Sounds delicious. Think I will try it but without the walnuts. It's apple time plus here in Massachusetts.
Cheers, Deb