Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Order Up!

I think the holiday season will be good proving ground for me. I was approached by yet another woman at work today about my new business. She is having a holiday party centered around coffee and dessert! She would like me to provide the desserts. She's having 15-16 couples and would like a mixture of cake and cheesecakes. Wahoooo!!! (Oh, did I mention that I do cheesecakes too? I do.)

So, I'm working on finalizing my price list. Why is it that charging people (especially people that I know) makes me feel guilty? I worry that I'm charging too much, despite doing research on comparable products in my area. I worry that people won't want to pay what I am asking or won't think what I create is worth the price? Maybe I'm too nice to be a businesswoman. I know one thing, our bank account isn't going to like it if I don't start recouping some of my investment. Therefore, I will charge. Apologies to all of my friends and relatives.

Here's a question for you, dear reader: Should I come up with cute names for my cakes (each item on the menu will have a description of main ingredients) or should I just tell it like it is?

For example, which do you prefer:

Lemon Creme Fantasy, or
Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Mascarpone Frosting

Here's where having an extensive product marketing background would help.

That's it for today. Gotta get that price list done. Paying clients await.

No comments: